Monday, April 19, 2010

Blocks R Us



I used to be really really bad at tetris (like die at level 2 kind of bad). Then of course, my roommates and I decide to take up tetris like its a sport, like its our life. Needless to say it pretty much is my life now, but what I didn't realize was that there is so much more to a tetris game than just getting lines.

"Minos"
The blocks are called "Minos", not just blocks. "Minos" is of course a short form of tetraminos, its like getting on a first name basis with tetris.

T-Spin.
Like the name, you spin the T shaped tetramino into spot. Its like you block it from going straight in, and then you bring it down to the bottom and spin it in spot. I wish there was a square spin as well.

Tetris.
Its when you get four lines at once. I've tried getting more than four, it doesn't work.

Back-to-Back.
I think this is when you get a tetris, or a t-spin and right after that you get a triple/double/single. I don't think I've ever gotten one of these when I actually tried to.

While going down the tetris rabbit hole, I've also taken it upon myself to think up variations on normal tetris, here are some I have come up with:

S-Block.
Single block tetris! Single squares fall down one at a time, and you make lines with that.

Sides.
Sideways tetris. The blocks show up either from the left or the right and you make lines from there.

Tetris Circs.
Tetris with circles. When you try to turn the circles, they spin. This version also has a rounded base to the tetris matrix.

I so hope the tetris people take some of my suggestions, and maybe also create 3D tetris someday.

If you're looking for a place to play some interesting tetris, you can try out Tetris Friends. If you happen to find more interesting tetris sites, feel free to leave them in the comments section!

Image from gearfuse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment